AT A GLANCE
Where is Stan Wawrinka vs Rafael Nadal taking place? The Magic Box, Madrid
When is Stan Wawrinka vs Rafael Nadal on and what time does it start? Friday 10th
May, 2019 – 20:30 (UK)
What channel is Stan Wawrinka vs Rafael Nadal on? This match will not be televised live in the UK
Where can I stream Stan Wawrinka vs Rafael Nadal? This match will be streamed live for subscribers of Amazon Prime
Where can I get tickets for Stan Wawrinka vs Rafael Nadal? https://www.madrid-open.com/en/tickets-mutua-madrid-open/
- Stan Wawrinka has cast doubters aside after three straight-sets victories in the Madrid Open so far, including world number six Kei Nishikori yesterday.
- The 34-year-old missed last year’s Madrid Open in a season blighted by injuries but he now finds himself in the quarter-finals for the first time since 2013, where he went on to lose the final to his opponent here.
- The Swiss has gone toe-to-toe with the elite players in the past but has miserable records against them, with a 3-17 deficit in his head-to-head record with Rafael Nadal.
- Rafael Nadal has beaten young stars of the game in Canada’s Felix Auger-Aliassime and the USA’s Frances Tiafoe so far but now faces an old foe in 34-year-old Stan Wawrinka.
- The 32-year-old Spaniard had reached the semi-finals in five consecutive years at his home Open before losing at this stage last year to Dominic Thiem.
- The world number two has a 17-3 record over Stan Wawrinka, including his 2013 Madrid Open final victory over the Swiss, and has won five of their last six meetings.
Stan Wawrinka’s record against the three truly elite players of the last decade is pretty miserable for a player of his standards, and that should reflect itself here at the hands of Rafael Nadal on his favoured surface. Both players have had their issues with injuries over the years, and while Wawrinka looks to be on his way back to competing at the top end of tournaments again, the spring season is where Rafa plies his trade to remain in history as the greatest ever on clay.