AT A GLANCE
Where is Stan Wawrinka vs Pierre-Hugues Herbert taking place? The Magic Box, Madrid
When is Stan Wawrinka vs Pierre-Hugues Herbert on and what time does it start? Tuesday 7th May, 2019
What channel is Stan Wawrinka vs Pierre-Hugues Herbert on? This match will not be televised live in the UK
Where can I stream Stan Wawrinka vs Pierre-Hugues Herbert? This match will be streamed live for subscribers of Amazon Prime
Where can I get tickets for Stan Wawrinka vs Pierre-Hugues Herbert? https://www.madrid-open.com/en/tickets-mutua-madrid-open/
- Stan Wawrinka is struggling to make the latter stages of tournaments this year with a 12-8 record for 2019 and just one quarter-final win to his name.
- 34-year-old Wawrinka did not play in last year’s Madrid Open in a season hampered by injury, but he fared no better in the previous two years where he exited at the earliest opportunity.
- Wawrinka has never faced 28-year-old Pierre-Hugues Herbert before, but finds his first-round opponent in the form of his life whilst the Swiss is in the twilight of his career.
- Pierre-Hugues Herbert has reached a career-high ATP world ranking of 36 in the world this year and has a decent record at 14-9 for 2019.
- Herbert has appeared just twice before at the Madrid Open, in 2016 and 2017, the latter of which he beat then 13th ranked Lucas Pouille before losing in the second round to Borna Coric.
- Coric also put out Herbert at Monte-Carlo last month, but not before Herbert claimed his biggest scalp of the year with a straight-sets win over world number six Kei Nishikori.
This is a difficult match to call with neither player exactly lighting up this tournament in recent years and having never faced each other before. Stan Wawrinka’s time at the top looks to be over, and whilst he might save his best for the Grand Slams, he faces a hungry younger man in Pierre-Hugues Herbert who must ride his momentum in a year he has reached his career best ranking. Wawrinka can win on paper, but motivation might prove the deciding factor.