When is Sweden vs USA taking place? Thursday 20th June 2019 – 20:00 (UK)
Where is Sweden vs USA taking place? Stade Océane, Le Havre
What television channel is Sweden vs USA on? BBC Four
Where can I stream Sweden vs USA? UK users can stream this match via BBC iPlayer
Where can I get tickets for Sweden vs USA? https://www.fifa.com/womensworldcup/organisation/ticketing/
THE TEAM NEWS
- Sweden enjoyed a comfortable 5-1 victory against Thailand on Sunday to make it two wins from two games and secure their place in the knockout stages but due to the USA’s superior goal difference, they need to win this match to claim top spot in the group.
- They took the opportunity to rotate and rest players against Thailand and were able to conserve energy during the second half with the match already won and an eye on this fixture.
- Sweden famously shocked the USA at the 2016 Olympics with a win in the quarter-finals with the Swedes being 4-3 winners in the first ever shootout in Olympic women’s soccer, with the scores 1-1 after extra-time in a keenly contested quarter-final in Brasilia and they will hope to take some inspiration from that victory.
- USA have booked their place in the knockout stages with two consecutive wins, they followed up their big victory against Thailand by winning their second match of the tournament 3-0 against Chile, with a weakened team as players such as Alex Morgan, Megan Rapinoe and Crystal Dunn were on the bench.
- Even with all of the changes, USA were far too good for Chile and were it not for the Chilean goalkeeper Christiane Endler the Americans’ would likely have scored five or six goals.
- Coach Jill Ellis has used a heavy squad rotation in the tournament so far meaning that every outfield player in the American squad has now featured in this World Cup so further changes are expected here although they will name something close to their strongest team.
Sweden and the USA meet in a table-topping clash to decide who will finish first in Group F. USA have not been tested thus yet in the tournament with two very comfortable wins and this is sure to be a much bigger examination of their credentials. The defence of USA is considered to be a potential weakness and Sweden will test this theory much more than either Thailand or Chile did but it would still be a shock if they managed to topple the reigning World Cup champions so expect USA to make it three wins from three and to move into the knockout stages as a group winner.