When is Nigeria vs Burundi taking place? Saturday 22nd June, 2019 – 18:00 (UK)
Where is Nigeria vs Burundi taking place? Alexandria Stadium, Alexandria
What television channel is Nigeria vs Burundi on? Eurosport 2
Where can I stream Nigeria vs Burundi? Subscribers can stream the match via Eurosport Player
Where can I get tickets for Nigeria vs Burundi? https://www.footballticketnet.com/2019-africa-cup-of-nations
THE TEAM NEWS
- Nigeria are back at the finals after missing out on the last two editions in 2015 & 2017 and they look well-equipped to have a run deep in the tournament with a good mix of experienced and talented younger players in their squad.
- Nigeria’s main goal threat - Odion Ighalo - is one of the favourites to finish as top goalscorer in the tournament; he scored seven goals during their qualifying campaign and was the top scorer overall in 2019 AFCON qualifying.
- Preparations have been affected by a sickness bug in their camp in the build-up to the tournament with Ahmed Musa, Abdullahi Shehu and Leon Balogun among the players that have reported ill three days before the start of the tournament, while Oghenekaro Etebo and Chidozie Awaziem have just recovered from the bug.
- This is the first time that Burundi have made it through to the finals. They finished second in their qualifying group behind Mali having remained unbeaten with two wins and four draws from their six matches.
- Fiston Abdul Razak (six) and Cedric Amissi (three) scored nine of their eleven goals during qualifying.
- Burundi have been given a tough debut fixture against Nigeria who are amongst the favourites for the title. Their second group match against Madagascar may give them their best chance for a win during the tournament.
Expectations will be high for Nigeria as they return to the finals for the first time since they won the tournament in 2013. They have a favourable group containing two debutants in Burundi and Madagascar and failure to qualify for the knockout stages would be a disaster. A sickness bug going through the Nigerian camp is not ideal preparation for their opening game though and it remains to be seen how this affects their performance. However, they still appear to have enough key players who are fit and well enough to be able to ensure they get off to a winning start against Burundi.