AT A GLANCE
When? Sunday 18th
November, 14:30 (UK)
Where? Boland Park
Weather? 28-30c and sunshine forecast all day
What channel is it on? Paarl Rocks vs Tshwane Spartans will not be forecast live on UK television
Where can I stream the match? Paarl Rocks vs Tshwane Spartans will not be streamed live on UK television
Are tickets still available? https://www.ticketpros.co.za/portal/web/index.php/event/c7301e18-4719-4019-105d-5b84e704db0a
THE TEAM NEWS
Coach: Adrian Birrell
Captain: Henry Davids
- Paarl Rocks make their debut in the MSL against the Tshwane Spartans with a strong squad at their disposal, and although they will be missing some key men in the early matches, they will expect to reach the business end of the tournament.
- Faf du Plessis, Tabraiz Shamsi and Aiden Markram were all on international duty with South Africa in the one-off T20 clash in Australia on Saturday so they are all absent which weakens them significantly.
- Henry Davids will lead the team in Du Plessis’ absence and they will rely heavily on Irish big hitter Paul Stirling, Michael Klinger, Dwayne Bravo and Cameron Delport to score the runs until their star men are available after international duty.
Coach: Mark Boucher
Captain: AB de Villiers
- The Spartans were hugely disappointing in their opening match against Cape Town Blitz as they succumbed to a 49-run loss and that was a knock to their confidence as they have big expectations for the tournament.
- The bowling unit was really poor going for nine runs per over as Kleinveldt, Sipamla, Birch and Frylinck were knocked around the park so there could well be one or two changes to the line-up for this match.
- Legend AB de Villiers hit a stunning half century in the opening game but they will need to provide more support around him so they will be hoping Eoin Morgan can feature here which seems unlikely and Raza is out so Elgar and Rossouw will have to raise their games.
When the Paarl Rocks have their full squad available to them, they have possibly the greatest strength and depth of all teams in the tournament. They are missing some key South African internationals including Faf de Plessis for this match so they are weakened and it will be interesting to see how they settle into the tournament. The Spartans were abysmal in their opening match and were never in the game in truth despite De Villiers heroics. They would have to improve significantly to have a chance of winning this game otherwise they face a tournament of struggles based on that initial performance.