AT A GLANCE
When? Saturday 8th December, 17:00 (UK)
Where? St George's Oval
Weather? Sunny intervals with a moderate breeze, 20c
What channel is it on? Nelson Mandela Bay Giants vs Tshwane Spartans will be broadcast live on FreeSports
Where can I stream the match? Nelson Mandela Bay Giants vs Tshwane Spartans will not be streamed live on UK television
Are tickets still available? https://www.ticketpros.co.za/portal/web/index.php/event/22f68047-a2d3-02ec-0641-5b84e9a1972f
Nelson Mandela Bay Giants beat Tshwane Spartans by 7 runs
THE TEAM NEWS
NELSON MANDELA BAY GIANTS
Coach: Eric Simons
Captain: JJ Smuts
- Nelson Mandela Bay Giants only managed to get through 13.3 overs of play in their most recent game with the Durban Heat due to rain with the Bay Giants on 121/2 and that is not three of their matches that have been affected by the weather.
- Giants’ skipper and opening batsmen JJ Smuts continued his excellent tournament against the Heat, finishing on 62 not out off 45 balls while the arrival of Jason Roy has bolstered them even further as he hit 26 from 16 balls.
- Leg-spinner Imran Tahir has struggled in the first year of the Mzansi Super League, picking up just three wickets so far in his five games played, meaning the Giants have had to rely on Smuts and Chris Morris for wickets so that is an area they can still improve.
Coach: Mark Boucher
Captain: AB de Villiers
- Tshwane Spartans picked up a vital victory in their chase for a play-off spot as they beat fellow playoff-hopefuls Paarl Rocks by four wickets in a low-scoring affair last time out and they know this match is another must-win game for them.
- Yet again, it was the Spartans’ bowling attack that made sure they were in the game as the league’s leading wicket taker Jeevan Mendis picked up two more wickets to take his tally up to 15, whilst Lutho Sipamla - third highest wicket taker - took another three.
- Robbie Frylinck proved the hero as it was his late flurry of runs that made up for opener Dean Elgar’s slow start, and gave them the result that means they are not ruled out, but they are still fifth in the table and will need other results to go their way as well as winning all of their remaining matches to get to the play-offs.
This is a vital match in the race for a play-off spot. With the Spartans seven points behind the Giants, they really need to win to maintain any hopes of overtaking them. The Giants edged the first match between these two teams but the Spartans were unfortunate as the rain came down. Despite having a star-studded batting line-up, the Spartans batsmen have failed to click throughout this tournament and it is their bowlers who have been required to bail them out, and Jeevan Mendis and Lutho Sipamla might be able to help restrict the Giants batsmen enough to get the Spartans that vital victory that they need.