AT A GLANCE
When? Saturday 17th
November, 18:00 (UK)
Where? New Wanderers Stadium
Weather? 26-28c with some cloud but no rain expected
What channel is it on? Jozi Stars vs Nelson Mandela Bay Giants will not be televised live in the UK
Where can I stream the match? Jozi Stars vs Nelson Mandela Bay Giants will not be streamed live in the UK
Are tickets still available? Yes! https://www.ticketpros.co.za/portal/web/index.php/event/c7301e18-4719-4019-105d-5b84e704db0a
THE TEAM NEWS
Coach: Enoch Nkwe
Captain: Dane Vilas
- The Jozi Stars kick off their MSL campaign led by veteran Dane Vilas in the absence of Kagiso Rabada and they took full advantage of their first round draft seeding by selecting the universe boss Chris Gayle with that pick.
- They will rely heavily on the big hitting West Indian opener to get them off to a fast start but it may be fellow overseas’ star Dan Christian who is even more vital with both bat and ball following his impressive spell with the Nottinghamshire Outlaws in the UK T20 Blast.
- Without Rabada (and Hendricks) in the side, the team does look a little light in the bowling department but they will rely on wily veterans Christian and Harmer, and hope paceman Olivier can chip in with some early wickets.
NELSON MANDELA BAY GIANTS
Coach: Eric Simons
Captain: Jon-Jon Smuts
- The Nelson Mandela Bay Giants have a similar mix of experience and youth, but one gets the impression that their experienced players are not quite at the same level as other teams unless the likes of Jason Roy and Chris Morris really fire into action immediately.
- They will be without star spinner Imran Tahir for this match as he is in Australia with South Africa so that does leave them particularly light in the middle overs where he is so efficient and that could cost them here along with the absence of Chris Morris.
- They do have good depth to their batting however with Christiaan Jonker and JJ Smuts capable of hitting big so if Roy and Heino Kuhn can get them off to a good start, they have a strong top six or seven to put together a big score and finish strongly.
There are so many unknowns coming into this second match in the MSL especially with so many international players absent. The Jozi Stars have their key players in the batting line-up available and that may be the key factor for this match especially with Imran Tahir missing for the Bay Giants. Difficult to know what to expect on this pitch but all the signs are with the investment in Chris Gayle, that they will produce a favourable pitch for the batsmen so look for a high scoring game and the edge goes to the home side.