AT A GLANCE
When? Wednesday 5th
December, 17:00 (UK)
Where? Newlands Cricket Ground
Weather? 21-23c with cloud but no rain expected
What channel is it on? Durban Heat vs Nelson Mandela Bay Giants will be broadcast live on FreeSports
Where can I stream the match? Durban Heat vs Nelson Mandela Bay Giants will not be streamed live on UK television
Are tickets still available? https://www.ticketpros.co.za/portal/web/index.php/event/c7301e18-4719-4019-105d-5b84e704db0a
Previous meeting: Nelson Bay Mandela Giants beat Durban Heat by 9 wickets
THE TEAM NEWS
Coach: Grant Morgan
Captain: Albie Morkel
- The Heat are in must-win territory now having lost their last four games, being firmly rooted to the bottom of the Mzansi Super League standings, and confidence being so low that key international opener Hashim Amla was dropped due to poor form last time out in the nine-wicket hammering by Paarl Rocks.
- The one potentially saving grace for them is the availability of T20 star Rashid Khan after his T10 duty ended and he will certainly add a different dimension to their bowling unit and will complement Maharaj nicely.
- Bokako will likely make way for the Afghani spin maestro, but whether his inclusion will be enough to reverse their fortunes remains to be seen as they look way off the pace with the bat especially as internationals such as Miller, Amla, Klaasen and Philander are currently in dreadful form.
NELSON MANDELA BAY GIANTS
Coach: Eric Simons
Captain: JJ Smuts
- The Nelson Mandela Bay Giants remain comfortable in second place in the standings but they come off a heavy loss on Sunday to the Jozi Stars who beat them by 81 runs in what was the heaviest beating in the tournament so far.
- The timing of Jason Roy’s availability after T10 duty could not come at a better time after the team were bowled out for just 92 runs on Sunday, and he gives them an important focal point at the top of the innings which they have lacked in the tournament to date.
- That will allow skipper JJ Smuts to drop down the innings and it could be Jonker who drops out of the team at the expense of Roy following his below-par performances so far which has seen him score just 45 runs in six innings.
All the pressure is on the Durban Heat coming into this game as anything but a win will essentially wave goodbye to any realistic hopes they have of reaching the knockout phase. They can count upon Rashid Khan but the Afghanistan star can only do so much and they desperately need their international players to really step up their game as too many are not producing. While Rashid Khan will undoubtedly improve their bowling attack, they have to hope his mere presence will boost others to perform better. The Bay Giants have been far more reliable in terms of producing the more consistent performance levels but they come off a poor loss. Jason Roy could provide just the tonic they need to get back to winning ways and they could effectively put the Heat out of contention here.