AT A GLANCE
When? Saturday 6th
October, 13:00 (UK)
Where? Sharjah Cricket Stadium
Weather? 33c and glorious sunshine all day
What channel is it on? Kandahar Knights vs Nangarhar Leopards will not be televised live in the UK
Where can I stream the match? Kandahar Knights vs Nangarhar Leopards cannot be streamed live in the UK
Are tickets still available? https://www.q-tickets.com/apl/eventlist
THE TEAM NEWS
Coach: Kabir Ali
Captain: Asghar Afghan
- The Kandahar Knights will be captained by Afghan national team skipper Asghar Afghan so they will have an experienced figure leading the team in the Premier League which is an important advantage over some other teams.
- He will be able to lean upon experienced Kiwi Brendon McCullum though who will be a key man in the batting line-up on these batting-friendly pitches in Sharjah while they will also hope for a big contribution from Irish stars Kevin O’Brien and Paul Stirling.
- The bowling unit will be spearheaded by English T20 specialist quick bowler Tymal Mills but it does look a little light in quality especially after Wahab Riaz dropped out and English all-rounder Sam Billings was unavailable so that does not help their preparations.
Coach: Venkatesh Prasad
Captain: Ben Cutting
- The Leopards will be led by Australian all-rounder Ben Cutting for the opening two matches of the tournament until Andre Russell joins up with the squad and the star West Indian will take over from him.
- They are without another key man as Nepalese prodigy Sandeep Lamichhane is currently with his national team and cannot feature just yet while there are others missing as with Bangladeshi duo Tamim Iqbal and Mushfiqur Rahim, as well as Pakistan’s Mohammad Hafeez are all unavailable.
- That said, their eleven available for this match still possesses plenty of quality as 17-year-old Mujeeb Ur Rahman, Mitch McClenaghan and Zahir Khan will be key members of the bowling attack while West Indian duo Johnson Charles and Andre Fletcher bolster the batting line-up and will enjoy the pitches in Sharjah.
This promises to be a fascinating match-up between these two as the Kandahar Kings have some major firepower in their batting line-up while the Nangarhar Leopards’ strength lies in their bowling unit. Neither team is helped by the fact that they are missing so many players and the Leopards especially will be a major force when Lamichhane and Russell return to action. This may be a tough assignment on a batting friendly pitch if the two Irishmen and McCullum click into gear. The Leopards do look the more balanced of the two sides but approach this open game for both teams with caution.