A Breakdown Of Cristiano Ronaldo's Champions League Goals
29th Nov 2017 by TSZ
Cristiano Ronaldo's extraordinary goalscoring exploits rightly get the attention they deserve, and his strike-rate in the Champions League is nothing short of breathtaking.
With 113 goals (and counting) to his name, he is the tournament's all-time leading scorer, but how has he gone about his business in Europe's premier club competition? In this regularly updated analysis, we delve into the numbers behind his success:
Last updated after 2017/18 matchday 5 vs APOEL
- Ronaldo has reached double figures in terms of Champions League goals for six consecutive seasons, and he is destined to make that seven if he continues at his current scoring rate in the 2017/18 campaign.
- His most prolific season was 2013-14, when his 17 goals helped Real Madrid achieve ‘La Decima’. This stands as the most goals scored by a single player in a single Champions League campaign.
- Ronaldo’s 54 goals in the knockout stages is more than any other player has achieved. He has also scored the most group stage goals in a single season (2015-16: 11).
- In the Champions League era, Ronaldo has scored the most goals in finals (four), with Alfredo Di Stefano holding the overall record (five).
BY PITCH AREA
- 60.2% of Ronaldo’s Champions League goals have come from inside the area.
- Over a quarter (25.7%) have been scored from within the 6 yard box.
METHOD OF GOALS
- Unsurprisingly, the majority of Ronaldo’s goals - 68.1% - have come from his right foot, with his left foot accounting for 15.0% and his head 16.8%.
TYPE OF GOALS
- 88 of Ronaldo’s 113 Champions League goals (77.9%) have come from open play, whilst he has reached double figures in both free-kicks and penalties.
- Ronaldo has been slightly more prolific in the second half of Champions League matches, scoring 61 times (54.0%) as opposed to 49 (43.4%) in the first half.
- An additional three goals (2.7%) have been scored during extra-time.
NATIONS SCORED AGAINST
- Clubs hailing from 15 different nations have been on the receiving end of a Ronaldo goal in the Champions League.
- The Portuguese superstar certainly enjoys playing against German opposition, as he has netted 25 times against them in the Champions League. He has also reached double figures against Italian (15) and English (11) clubs.
TEAMS SCORED AGAINST
- In terms of specific clubs, the Real Madrid frontman has been on the scoresheet against 31 different opponents.
- Ronaldo’s five goals across both legs of Real Madrid’s quarter-final with Bayern Munich last season took his tally to nine Champions League goals overall against the German giants – more than against any other team.
- Ronaldo has scored at least five goals against 10 different teams in the Champions League.
GOALKEEPERS SCORED AGAINST
- Ronaldo has scored past 40 different goalkeepers in the Champions League.
- Johan Wiland and Manuel Neuer have the unfortunate distinction of conceding the most goals to Ronaldo (nine).
- 28 different players have assisted Ronaldo in the Champions league.
- Karim Benzema has been his most frequent supplier, with the Frenchman teeing up Ronaldo for 12 goals in the competition.
- Former Manchester United winger Ryan Giggs is the highest assister for a non-Real Madrid player (four).
Scribble your email address here and click subscribe to receive our newsletter on all things sport, data and analysis!