AT A GLANCE
When is Ross Smith vs Paul Lim taking place? Sunday 16th December, 2018
Where is Ross Smith vs Paul Lim taking place? Alexandra Palace, London
What channel is Ross Smith vs Paul Lim on? Sky Sports Arena
Where can I stream Ross Smith vs Paul Lim? Sky Sports subscribers can stream the match online via the Sky Go app
Are tickets still available for Ross Smith vs Paul Lim? https://www.pdc.tv/william-hill-world-darts-championship-tickets
- Ross Smith is making just his second ever appearance at the PDC World Championship this year having previously lost to Simon Whitlock 3-0 in the first round in 2014.
- 29-year-old Smith is a four-time winner on the PDC Challenge Tour and lost in the first round of the Players Championship Finals earlier last month.
- Smith made his debut at one of darts’ majors in 2011 at the age of just 21 when he reached the quarter-finals of the BDO World Championships before losing 5-1 to Martin Adams.
- Paul Lim is making his tenth appearance at the PDC World Championships this year after he lost 4-1 to Gary Anderson last year.
- In a career that began in 1982, 64-year-old Lim has competed all over the globe, with his best finish in a major coming in 1987 when he reached the semi-finals of the WDF World Cup Singles.
- Lim was the first player to hit a perfect 9-dart finish during the BDO World Darts Championship in 1990 during his second-round match against Jack McKenna which earned him £52,000, which was £28,000 more than Phil Taylor won for winning the tournament.
Although the younger Smith may have more appearances at the PDC World Championship ahead of him, the hugely experienced Lim should be able to sneak through this first round match-up. The Singapore player will have the full backing of the crowd when he walks up to the oche and he’ll know that a match against world number five Daryl Gurney awaits in the next round if he can get past Smith.