2018 Super League – Huddersfield Giants vs Salford Red Devils Preview
15th Apr 2018 by Ash Wheldon
AT A GLANCE
When? Sunday 15th April, 15:00
Where? John Smith's Stadium
What channel is it on? Huddersfield Giants vs Salford Red Devils will not be televised live
Where can I stream the match? N/A
Are tickets still available? https://giants.tickethour.co.u...
Head Coach: Chris Thorman
Squad: Brough, Clough, English, Gaskell, Hinchcliffe, Ikahihifo, Leeming, McIntosh, Mellor, Murphy, Rankin, Roberts, I. Senior, Simpson, Smith, Ta’ai, Turner, Wakeman, Walne
Unavailable: Leroy Cudjoe, Jake Mamo, Jermaine McGilvary, Sam Wood, Colton Roche, Tyler Dickinson, Michael Lawrence, Dale Ferguson, Adam O’Brien
- Huddersfield produced a late comeback but ultimately fell short against Castleford last week. The Tigers were coasting at the break as they went in 6-28 ahead but the Giants hit back, eventually going down 28-40.
- Interim coach Chris Thorman is boosted by the return of some key players. Danny Brough, Ryan Hinchcliffe and Kruise Leeming have all recovered from their respective injuries whilst Alex Mellor and Darnell McIntosh also return. Louis Senior, Michael Lawrence, Dale Ferguson, Adam O’Brien and Tyler Dickinson make way.
- Huddersfield’s defence continues to leak points at an alarming rate. With 40 conceded last week, the Giants have now allowed 283 points in their 10 games so far this season.
SALFORD RED DEVILS
Head Coach: Ian Watson
Squad: Bibby, Evalds, Flanagan, Griffin, Hauraki, Johnson, Jones, Kopczak, Lannon, Littlejohn, Lui, Mossop, Olpherts, Nakubuwai, Sa’u, Tasi, Tomkins, Welham, Wood
Unavailable: Manu Vatuvei, Tyrone McCarthy, George Griffin, Luke Burgess, Jake Shorrocks
- Salford were comfortably beaten by Warrington last week with the Red Devils still languishing in the bottom four as a result. Warrington were in control for much of the game with Salford unable to get in front as they went down 6-22.
- On-loan Wigan man Jake Shorrocks misses out this week along with Luke Burgess as Niall Evalds and George Griffin return to the 19-man squad.
- Salford’s attack continues to falter with them only scoring 148 points this season, the same number as their opponents in this game and only six points more than bottom-of-the-table Catalans.
Huddersfield host Salford in an important game down at the bottom of the Super League table. Both will be desperate for a win to try and climb into the top 8 as the table begins to take shape as we approach the halfway point of the season. Huddersfield almost produced a brilliant comeback against Castleford last week but their poor first half cost them dearly. Salford didn’t have enough in the locker to beat an in-form Warrington and sit just a point ahead of the Giants in the table. Both sides have identical scoring records in attack this season but Huddersfield may just edge this one with their returning players providing a big boost.
Scribble your email address here and click subscribe to receive our newsletter on all things sport, data and analysis!