2017-18 Big Bash League – Sydney Sixers vs Sydney Thunder Preview
12th Jan 2018 by Rob Esteva
When? Saturday, 13th January
Where? Sydney Cricket Ground
Weather? 25-26c expected in Sydney on Saturday with a rainstorm forecast to arrive in the afternoon but should clear up by the evening
What channel is it on? Channel TEN in Australia & BT Sport 2 in the UK
Are tickets still available? http://www.sydneysixers.com.au...
Where can I stream the match? BT Sport subscribers can stream the match online via the BT Sport website
Last five meetings: Sydney Sixers W1, Sydney Thunder W4
All-time meetings: Sydney Sixers W3, Sydney Thunder W9
Coach: Greg Shipperd
Captain: Moises Henriques
- After the Stars won the Melbourne derby on Friday, the Sixers remain the only team without a win in BBL07 so the pressure is on for them to raise their game and they will be desperate to salvage some pride in the Sydney Smash on Saturday.
- They are able to count on their new international stars Carlos Brathwaite and Joe Denly who replace Jason Roy and Sam Billings and they will be hoping for greater production from the two new players after the departed English duo failed to find any form.
- They can also welcome back skipper Moises Henriques after he spent some time on the sidelines for personal leave while they also get Nathan Lyon back after he completed his international duty and the spinner is a valuable addition to their bowling attack.
Coach: Paddy Upton
Captain: Shane Watson
- The Thunder kept their hopes of a final four place alive by beating the Perth Scorchers last time with a narrow three run victory and they will be keen to string together a run of wins to keep them firmly in contention with the three teams above them on eight points.
- They name the same 13-man squad for this game but they will be hoping to count on English batsman James Vince who missed the Scorchers win due to illness so he could well come into the starting eleven with Chris Green possibly making way.
- The 175/4 against the Scorchers was comfortably their best batting performance of the season so far and that was in no small part thanks to the 85 from Usman Khawaja who looked in tremendous form in his first game of BBL07 after international duty.
The Thunder have had the edge over the Sixers in recent Sydney Smash matches but there is plenty of pride at stake for the Sixers coming into this game which should see them highly motivated. They are winless so far and while confidence may not be great, the fact they have Brathwaite, Denly, Lyon and Henriques coming in, this almost feels like a new team. The Thunder looked to be much improved themselves with Khawaja back and on fire last time out, but this will be a close fought game. The first match between them went down to the wire and this should also, making the outcome very unpredictable.
Scribble your email address here and click subscribe to receive our newsletter on all things sport, data and analysis!