2017-18 Big Bash League – Melbourne Stars vs Sydney Sixers Preview
15th Jan 2018 by Rob Esteva
When? Tuesday, 16th January
Where? Melbourne Cricket Ground
Weather? Sunny weather of 22c expected with no rain forecast
What channel is it on? Channel TEN in Australia & BT Sport 2 in the UK
Are tickets still available? http://www.melbournestars.com....
Where can I stream the match? BT Sport subscribers can stream the match online via the BT Sport website
Last five meetings: Melbourne Stars W4, Sydney Sixers W1
All-time meetings: Melbourne Stars W4, Sydney Sixers W2
Coach: Stephen Fleming
Captain: John Hastings
- The Stars picked up their first win of BBL07 last time out in the Melbourne derby against the Renegades to give them a much-needed boost in confidence after an eight match losing streak that dated back to last year, and they will look to build on it now against the Sixers.
- Leg spinner Daniel Fallins made his debut in that game and is set to keep his place as they have named an unchanged 13-man squad, while pacemen Daniel Worrall and Jackson Coleman will also likely keep their places after impressing for combined figures of 5-52 against the Renegades.
- Kevin Pietersen enjoyed his best knock of BBL07 so far with 74 from 46 balls against the Renegades and there were signs that both their batting and bowling attacks were finding something close to their best form now that the pressure on them has eased off.
Coach: Greg Shipperd
Captain: Moises Henriques
- The Sixers have been in a similar situation as the Stars having been winless until their last match which they bounced back nicely in to beat their Sydney city rivals the Thunder by eight wickets on Saturday.
- Likewise, they name the same 13-man squad for this game and there is every chance it will be the same eleven given the tremendous performance with both bat and ball, and it was comfortably their best batting performance so far.
- The bowling attack has also been strengthened with Lyon and Brathwaite contributing well last time out and with the influx of new and returning players to the team, they look like a revitalised outfit right now.
Both off these teams picked up their first wins of BBL07 last time out in what have largely been miserable campaigns so far but they have both looked better now the pressure is essentially off them. The Sixers look like a different team with the likes of Brathwaite, Lyon and Denly coming into the side while the Stars have gone with a younger bowling attack that has added some life into them. The Sixers were very impressive against the Thunder although the Stars got a win against better quality opposition in the Renegades. Both teams have been unpredictable and this match promises to be the same, but the influx of new quality players for the Sixers may give them the edge.
Scribble your email address here and click subscribe to receive our newsletter on all things sport, data and analysis!