2017-18 Big Bash League – Melbourne Renegades vs Melbourne Stars Preview
11th Jan 2018 by TSZ
When? Friday, 12th January
Where? Docklands Stadium
Weather? Temperatures of 20-22c expected but there is a strong chance of rain throughout the day so the roof will be on at the Docklands
What channel is it on? Channel TEN in Australia & BT Sport 2 in the UK
Are tickets still available? http://www.melbournerenegades....
Where can I stream the match? BT Sport subscribers can stream the match online via the BT Sport website
Last five meetings: Melbourne Renegades W2, Melbourne Stars W3
All-time meetings: Melbourne Renegades W4, Melbourne Stars W8
Coach: David Saker
Captain: Aaron Finch
- The Renegades lost last time out on the penultimate ball to the Perth Scorchers but there were plenty of positive to take from that game and they will take heart from the fact that they comprehensively outplayed their Melbourne rivals last week.
- With Aaron Finch unavailable due to his international commitments with Australia, Cameron White has been named as the Renegades’ new skipper and that is well merited given his superb batting performances to date having hit 79no, 51, 3, 49no, 35no and 68no so far but he too is called up to the Aussie ODI squad so both miss out here and veteran Brad Hodge will skipper for this game.
- Jon Holland and Chris Tremain come into the 13-man squad and the loss of their star batting duo does leave them significantly weakened at the top of the order and that will mean a reshuffle with the likes of Ludeman and Hodge candidates to open and Nabi and Bravo may also move up the order too.
Coach: Stephen Fleming
Captain: John Hastings
- The Stars’ defeat on Tuesday to the Strikers was their fifth in five games in BBL07 and their losing run dates back to last season when they lost the last three matches so confidence is low and plans already seem to be taking place to prepare for next season.
- With that in mind, there are likely to be some changes to the starting eleven which has already seen younger players like Jackson Coleman and Seb Gotch come in to gain more experience and there is a chance that they will be joined by young spinners Liam Bowe and Daniel Fallins for this game.
- Bowe and Fallins come into the 13-man squad with Adam Zampa and Marcus Stoinis dropping out due to their Australian ODI call-ups and that weakens their batting and bowling departments further on paper at least even though Zampa has not really fired during BBL07.
Both of these teams are missing key players due to international call-ups but it may be the Renegades that are affected more with the in-form Finch and White missing from their batting line-up. It is virtually impossible to have any confidence in the Stars right now however who appear to have given up on the season and too many of their players other than Glenn Maxwell are either out of form or look like they have stopped caring. They could of course just click at some point given the batting talent they have, but their bowling attack is the worst in the competition and even this reduced Renegades batting line-up should still score heavily against them. Preference has to go with the Renegades once again.
Scribble your email address here and click subscribe to receive our newsletter on all things sport, data and analysis!