2017-18 Big Bash League – Adelaide Strikers vs Hobart Hurricanes Preview
16th Jan 2018 by Rob Esteva
When? Wednesday, 17thJanuary
Where? Adelaide Oval
Weather? Glorious weather forecast in Adelaide with sunshine and temperatures of 30-32c expected
What channel is it on? Channel TEN in Australia & BT Sport 2 in the UK
Are tickets still available? http://www.adelaidestrikers.co...
Where can I stream the match? BT Sport subscribers can stream the match online via the BT Sport website
Last five meetings: Adelaide Strikers W3, Hobart Hurricanes W2
All-time meetings: Adelaide Strikers W4, Hobart Hurricanes W3, No result 1
Coach: Jason Gillespie
Captain: Travis Head
- The Strikers were comfortably outplayed by the Scorchers last time out having been bowled out for just 112 batting first in that game and that came after an opening partnership of 49 so the middle order will be looking to improve and contribute significantly more.
- They sit in second spot in the ladder but it is congested behind them so a win here against a team competing for the top four places would give them some breathing space but they will not overreact or panic after the Scorchers loss.
- They make two changes to their 13-man squad as talented young batsman Kelvin Smith and Wes Agar come into the reckoning as spinner Liam O’Connor and all-rounder Daniel Drew drop out and Smith could well be given a chance in the middle at the expense of Lehmann.
Coach: Gary Kirsten
Captain: George Bailey
- It is a quick turnaround in matches for the Hurricanes who only played on Monday against Brisbane but fatigue will not be a factor as they are currently flying on a five-match winning run of form and confidence is superb.
- Despite winning their last five, a final four place is far from assured and they know a victory here would go a long way to securing that as they will likely name the same set of players that comfortably beat the Heat two days ago.
- D’Arcy Short continues to set BBL07 alight with his outstanding batting and he broke the BBL record for runs scored in a season and there are still three matches remaining so they will look to him to continue his sparkling form that has seen him be there top runscorer in all five of their wins.
It is very difficult to back against the Hurricanes right now given their unbelievable form and specifically that of D’Arcy Short. They are the form team in BBL07 with their five wins in a row and they have already beaten the Strikers once in Match 17 when they won by seven runs. Their form has continued to improve since that match, but the Strikers will still offer them a stern test. The Strikers have the better bowling attack but the Hurricanes edge the batting line-ups and they have to be favoured in this current run of form.
Scribble your email address here and click subscribe to receive our newsletter on all things sport, data and analysis!